Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy 10

In continuance to last post, tomorrow marks my official 10th year anniversary of stepping foot into this country.  It still doesn't seem real.  Having said that, I'm not going to dwell on the details of the past.

So, I've been working full time since beginning of the month.  It's definitely a different experience and it takes some getting used to.  I don't know why I was ever excited about growing up and having a real job in  Corporate America, now that I'm in it, I don't feel accomplished at all.  Sure, I'm grateful for even having a job in this crap bag of an economy, but I see better things in my future.  When I get bored at work (which happens very often), I like to think of all the potentially "fun" things I wouldn't mind doing while getting paid...

  • Food judge~ I don't stand alone on this one.  I know MANY people would love this profession, and many people are envious of those who actually have this profession.  Honestly, who wouldn't love to be able to eat delicious food while getting paid the big bucks?! Of course, there's a judge for every kind of food... snack, entree, pastry, frozen food, astronaut food, candy.. let your imagination go wild!
  • Resort expert~ I saw a posting somewhere way back for a couple to live in a newly established vacation resort somewhere in the tropics for a year, and all they have to do is live there and blog everything, and the salary was INSANE.  Of course, they wanted someone who's great with words to describe and potentially advertise for their establishment, but how awesome is that!  
  • Professional traveler~ I know that somewhere someone is making a career out of this. Going around all areas of the world, document the incredible journeys they have and making a profit. I don't know for sure if there is such a profession, but I'd like to dream there is, because maybe One day, I will get it ;P
  • Secret agent~ I've always fantasized about being a secret agent, being able to fight crime, doing hand combat with dirtbags, being all hardcore.. Too bad I wasn't born with good hand-eye coordination, or the ability to run over a mile at a time lol, otherwise I could've been an ass-kicking, nose-punching, lock-picking agent. 
  • Professional performer~ This was possible at one point in my life... too bad I gave up too early. My mom insisted on me taking piano, singing and dance lesson at an early age (3!!), from what I heard, I was pretty good at all of them.  With piano, I've accomplished a lot, but nothing since high school, while singing and dancing kind of just lost their way somewhere between age 10 and 11. There had been fantasies where I stand in front of thousands and being amazing. Oh well.. 
  • Fortune cookie writer~ no surprise there! I've gotten some rather meaningless/humorless/helpless fortunes. I definitely think I could do better... I can always use my ancient Chinese wisdom! lol
Well that's enough fantasies for one night.  There's always more day-dreaming come the next day.  I shall leave you a few funny job choices I found while browsing the web.. just think, would YOU want any of these as your careers? You can google each and see what they do.. some are pretty self-explanatory. 

  • Breath odor evaluator
  • Chicken sexer
  • Armpit sniffler
  • Toilet paper sniffler
  • Crocodile wrangler (may Steve RIP)
  • Professional whistler
  • Goat milker
  • Ostrich babysitter (I've personally seen them, it's not a hard job at all)
  • Adult store attendant 
  • Alcohol ambassador 
  • Pet psychologist 
And the list will go on, but just not here.  Some professions seem more attractive than others.. like alcohol ambassador, who wouldn't want that job? As there's a Chinese saying "365 professions, there's a champion in every profession".  Someone's gotta do the job that no one else wants, and likewise, someone will always come on top for the job that everyone wants, right?  






 

2 comments:

  1. Anything i can do to help you with LSAT? As for jobs, one thing about being a food writer is helping your audience EXPERIENCE the food without them actually eating it. You have to use a lot of metaphors and other ideas that aren't food-related to make that connection. It's like trying to describe something that doesn't exist! I've met an "alcohol ambassador"--I think she just does promotions and has to dress scantily to get people to drink more. Don't know what kind of advancement potential you have in that work, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm thanks for clearing it up! Although I probably wouldn't want to have a permanent career doing any of those things above, some of them still make a fun and temp job choice ;)

    ReplyDelete