Sunday, July 31, 2011

Life is just a basket full of possibilities

Confession: there were times when I could have posted and wrote something meaningful but was just too darn lazy.

This month marks my TENTH anniversary since stepping onto American soil.  10 years.  At first, agonizing, then it became "home", comfortable, the "place I'd rather be".  It's strange how a person can acclimate to a completely different culture and environment.  It's more strange how a single event can change a person's, or should I say people's lives forever.  My dad's passing gave me this life.  Not to get sentimental here or anything, but not a single day goes by without me thinking what would've been different if he was still here.  I've heard people say "things happen for a reason". Maybe.  But someone else brought a different prospective, he said "it's how we act accordingly (to events happened) that make us think whatever happened did happen for a reason."  It's a lot of twist and turns, but it makes sense if you think about it.

For me, life is just a big pot of opportunities, possibilities, and surprises.  You never know what's going to happen next, that's the beauty of it all.  What's the point of having everything planned out in life?  Something will happen and change the course of that plan, and then what?  Make new plans?  Why don't we all just let it play out and see what happens?   It may sound like a lazy person's way of thinking, but doesn't it just sound more.... lively?  Maybe this is why I'm not a top rank Harvard graduate, because we all know THOSE people had their every step of their successful lives planned to the T.  In all reality, I think I would be a miserable beeotch if I were really an Ivy Leaguer.

10 years ago, I would've never imagined that I would still be living in this tax-free state.  Hell, I didn't even think I'd still be in the country.  Before I came here, when my friends from middle school asked how long I was coming for, I said I'd be back in a month, before school started.  And BAM. I stayed for 6 years before I stepped on China soil again.
I never thought my English would ever be good enough, and yet people say I don't have any accent.  I can't even fake a Chinese accent if I wanted to, it just comes out like I'm trying to speak slowly.  There were so many things I never thought I would have, and I have them all.  So I guess what I'm trying to say is, we never know what life will bring us, there's no guarantee that everything will be good, but we should count everything as a blessing in disguise.

That concludes today's report.  I will try to do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment