Hope everybody had a good Independence Day. It had be thinking about the American Dream. It's a totally cliche subject but still valid to discuss. Going back to the beginning, the very thing that got me here was the pursuit of the American Dream. It wasn't that we weren't living a good life before, but my dad wanted a even better life for me; better education, better living environment, better quality of air (let's face it, the air in China is 90% dirt). I don't know if American citizens realize this, but they have it easy. For the rest of the world without the freedom of anything, we really have 2 choices, to fight (and possibly die) or to keep quiet and accept the cards we've been dealt. People here (by that I mean born citizens) really have no idea what it is like living in a totally different political environment. I'm not bashing on a certain lifestyle or government, I'm merely stating that some people should consider some relativity before opening their mouths and complain.
America, being the land of the free really has nothing for free. Thousands died for their freedom, wars still being fought to keep their freedom and yet people continue to whine. Every single new-comer I've encountered in recent years have noted the fact that it is truly a pleasure to step foot in this country. As successful as these people are in their own homeland, they still appreciated certain things that the US could offer. It puts the perspective that nothing in the world is perfect, so we should just be grateful for what we have. I certainly am. To me, being appreciative doesn't mean losing the motivation for reaching higher goals. We all can strive for better, but at the same time recognize a good thing when we have it.
I, for one will always appreciate life as it is. I'm happy to be here, where I am, but at the same time I am making an effort for a better future. The American Dream my dad had for me was to have a top notch education. To him, an American education is far better than any where else's. He admired the creativity and independence that the children were encouraged to develop at an young age. So I feel like in that respect, I've turned out the way he would approve. I've had the taste of both worlds; the strict discipline from the Chinese education system and the more free-spirited teaching of American education. Now, my next step is learning how to utilize what I've gathered through living both worlds.
On a brighter note, in light of celebrating America's birthday, I went to see some fireworks. In all honesty, I wasn't really all that impressed with the show itself, but seeing so many people on the road being so hyped up on this special day made me feel a little patriotic too. Pix will come soon (my computer is being a brat right now).
No comments:
Post a Comment