Thursday, June 30, 2011

thinking thoughts

So I've been spending a lot of time with our family friends over the past two weeks trying to help their daughter settle in, taking the parents out shopping, and getting all the essential services set up.  I've come to realize a few things recently.  One thing for sure is that I don't wish to have their lives or money if I could.  This wasn't the first time I've had to help some wealthy family friends move to this country, most of them were my dad's old business associates.  I have no doubt that if my dad was still here, we would be well off like most of his old partners are now, but I'm not so sure that it would be a good thing.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't be nice to spend thousands without hesitation, but something just feels off.  Having money has its own downside.  You would think that rich people would be capable of a lot more things than us plain folks, but they are also lacking a lot of other qualities in life, ones that money cannot buy.  It's hard to get into details because they are so many, but a few simple ones like compassion, understanding, loyalty, independence are all among the things they could definitely improve on.  There are certain things that people think they are entitled to, both for the wealthy and poor.  Poor people think they deserve help from others, and the wealthy think they deserve to be served.  Maybe I'm generalizing too much and being a bit harsh, but what's what it seems to me.

In a sad way, I'm glad how my life has turned out.  A lot of people say I've experienced too much "life" already at an young age, especially the kind of "life" that no one wants experience.  But that has thought me lessons that I will always treasure.  It's made me a strong person, capable of things that I would otherwise never dare to do.  And yes, it came with a greater price.  That is something I can't change, and can only accept as part of a master plan by the super(wo)man upstairs.  I believe in everything happens for a reason.  In a way, I also see it as me being saved from a wasteful and useless life, because the person I am today care more about thousand dollar shoes.  I don't want to bash anyone's lifestyle or beliefs but I just know now more than ever that I love how my life has turned out, considering the circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment