Monday, September 5, 2011

Love is in the air! First Wedding

Before yesterday, I'd only been to one wedding in my adult life, as someone's date.  It was short, sweet and ended with a lot of food consumption.  I didn't know the groom well, and I didn't know the bride at all. That was almost 2 years ago.

I've always loved the idea of going to weddings.  The thought of witnessing two people in love, taking the first step into a life long commitment just makes my heart go all warm.  So when I got my first ever invitation, I jumped with excitement.  I was so stoked to know that my close friend from high school is marrying another friend of mine from college!  I was there when they first met and I can honestly say that I knew from day 1 that they would end up together.  It's just one of those things that you JUST KNOW from your gut.

The wedding reception was anything but ordinary.  They didn't do the whole Asian thing 100%, and yet, they didn't go all Westernized either.  It was a nice mix of all 3 cultures (Chinese, Vietnamese, and ... French?) lol.  From the different varieties of foods, to music and dresses (there was 3 dress changes for the bridal party), to unconventional games,  it was definitely refreshing to see a different take on a traditional practice.  At the wedding, I caught up with some friends that I haven't seen since transferring back to my home state university 4 years ago.  It's times like that make people all come together and celebrate life's greatest pleasures.  I couldn't stop smiling all night..

A friend of mine warned me about going to the wedding alone, single.  She said I'd make a prime target for the "wedding crashers", but who are we all kidding?  Asians just don't do that.  We don't have the balls to.  And I was right.  The fact that I stood a good 3 inches taller than most of the men at the wedding really didn't help facilitate any potential picker-uppers.  In the world outside of the Asian community, being 5'7'' is really nothing to gawk about, even if I wear 3 inch heels, but in a room full of South Asians, I was pretty much the mutated giant that no one knows could possibly be living and breathing.  But hey, who cares.  There ain't nothing I can do about my height and they just jealous they can't breath the fresh air on top...

I didn't bring my bigass D-SLR so I just snapped shots with my phone.. some of them were at least viewable :)

Bride&Groom and their little elfs sit way up front

Cute table setting

Big Entrance: going through all these people

Couldn't get a good shot, but her dress was beautiful! 

Semi-Asian menu, French served though = not enough food

Delicious 7-layers of fruit cake goodness (I only managed to get the mango flavor)

"Table toast"-Asian thing, the bride&groom go to each table to toast the guests as way of thank you, we got 'em tequila shots ;) 

Me & the GORGEOUS bride

And the handsome groom  

I just hope that one day I'll be lucky to experience ALL of that and more, but no rush.  Unlike all the Asian moms around me, I don't care that I'm 23 and don't have a boyfriend.  They think it'll be the end of the world (or end of "possibilities") if girls are still single by mid-20s.  I think whatever is meant to happen will happen, and besides, my friend and I already have a verbal agreement that by the time we're not married at 35, we'll just marry each other.  Friendships make lasting relationships, right?

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment