My Saturday morning exercise.. brain exercises
Only 3 more weeks!!! I'm anxious, nervous, scared, so I'm definitely not ready. But I also can't wait to get this thing over with! I've already come up with a list of fun things to do with my friends after the "big day" to get me motivated, let's just say that we have to spread out the activities over several weekends.. :D
A few things sparkled in my mind in the past few days that are worth mentioning, but I'll only talk about one right now...
I've always been told to never be dependent on others for money. If I want something, I work for it and get it myself. Simple right? It's not so easy when the things I want cost many times more than what I can make hahaa... but that's beside the point. Over the past 2 years, I've seen a lot of ... say privileged kids from China. The ones from my home town were mostly my dad's old business acquaintances's sons and daughters. I admit, it wasn't easy being with them knowing that I could've had what they have, a happy family and bank load of cash to spend. But after getting to know them, I'm glad to be just the way I am. For one, I am not completely dependent on my family's money. Maybe it's because I grew up in America, where majority of the people still value a honest paycheck. These kids have never worked a day in their lives and still feel entitled to have the world. Yes, they are rich, and their families can actually afford anything they want, but why don't they want something better? Something that may have more meaning than just throwing thousands of dollars on a bag that will only be used once? I make no apology for judging their frivolous spending. It's not a philosophical matter of "how do you know their values aren't as good as yours?" bullshit. It's a matter of having any values at all.
I've made my point clear to these kids that I think they have no real substance or worth to this world, nor will they ever be successful (I'm just that blunt). And their response?? "Well, I'm the only heir so when my parents are gone, all the money will just go to me anyway, so what's theirs is mine" and "why should I work so hard when I don't need to?" I was speechless. This is what the next generation of China looks like. I don't think America has anything to worry about right now... as long as you continue to teach your kids to work for a living, you're golden. Oh, also, maybe plug some stores from Fifth Ave to every major city in China, and your economy will be saved in a year, tops.
Just to think what might or actually will happen to these kids when they grow older? They obviously aren't looking into getting their own jobs, or have any goals of achieving something in their lives, unless you call finally getting the exclusive Birkin bag from Hermes is a worthy goal, then these are your over-achievers. I personally think it'll take nothing short of a miracle for these kids to want to do something on their own.
As I always say, everything happens for a reason. I was just never meant to be disgustingly rich because my personality will probably not go well with it. And some people are just never meant to do anything with their lives. It all balances out. hahaa
Hey I'm TRYING to be one of those rich brainless soulless people! It's my dream goal! :P
ReplyDeleteBTDub. You should definitely come apple-picking with us BISH!
I agree with everything in this post. But hey, like I said before, when people spend their money recklessly...it doesn't matter how much they inherit. If they don't know basic life skills, like good work ethics and how to manage their money, believe me, it will one day all dry up. I, too, am glad that I was not raised to be spoiled and entitled.
ReplyDeleteGina, I find it very hard to imagine you being soulless.. you probably have the most soul of all the Asians I know combined. lol
ReplyDeleteLiz, THANK YOU for agreeing with me, some people have told me that the only reason I have such a negative feeling towards those kids is because I'm jealous.. but I'm not. Glad to see someone else understands.